Democrats are usually recognized as the party who’s concerned with global warming and other environmental concerns. We, as individuals, make up the Democratic Party and we, as individuals, must take better care of Mother Earth.
There are small things we can do to help. Check out the list below . Also, two changes we can make, as individuals, will make a real impact on the environment.
- Take your cloth bag to the grocery story. Single use plastic bags cannot be recycled! That recycling bin for plastic bags you see at your local Publix is just to make you feel good. Those bags are too flimsy to be recycled. They jam the recycling machines. Below, you’ll see the difference of decomposition of plastic bags vs. paper bags. If you absolutely refuse to take your own bag, ask for a paper bag. Mother Earth will thank you.
- Stop buying single serve bottled water. Eighty percent of single serve bottles ARE NOT recycled. It takes a million years for one to decompose — if they ever do decompose.
Check out how long each of these products take to decompose in the environment.
· Banana Peel: 3-4 weeks
· Paper Bag: 1 month
· Cardboard: 2 months
· Wool Sock : 1 year
· Tinned Steel Can: 50 years
· Aluminum Can: 200-500 years (But if recycled, it can be reused within 6 weeks!)
· Disposable Diapers: 550 years
· Plastic Bags : 20-1000 years
· Plastic Jug/Water bottle: 1 million years
· Glass : 1-2 million years
· Styrofoam: 1+ million years
Recycle items that can be recycled!